Every home needs a security camera. If you want to catch burglars fast if you, in any case, get robbed, or if you want to see if someone parked on your parking spot, or hit your car, you will definitely need a security camera.
There are several technologies used for video surveillance, and there are also several types of cameras for security. You can get a High-resolution camera or HD network and IP camera. Each one has its own benefits and each has a few built-in drawbacks. Understanding the good and bad of each technology will help you choose what is right for your needs.
CCTV, high-resolution camera, stands for closed-circuit television. This is the original technology that was created in the 1960s. This technology has gone through many upgrades and changes but remains basically the same today. CCTV cameras with digital video recorders are the most commonly used technology. A CCTV camera sends a video signal to a DVR using a video cable. The camera's signal is analog, not digital and the DVR converts this analog signal into digital, and then records video to a hard drive. This technology is most cost-effective and provides a simple straightforward installation. The quality of the signal is great because these are cameras with high resolution and the format of the signal is the format that DVR was set to save it.
HD-IP is HD network and IP camera. IP stands for internet protocol, but this term does not adequately describe the technology. IP cameras are digital. They generate streaming digital video and broadcast it to a remote and VR network video recorder using a computer network. The cameras are addressed similar to a computer on a network and connect to this network by using the same internet cable and fittings. Recording resolutions can be set to 1080p or higher. This is a huge jump and video quality compared to the maximum 700 lines and resolution for CCTV cameras.
Panel type- the panel type is very important when you are buying a monitor for your security cameras. The best type is the LED panel because it provides you with very good brightness, contrast, and clarity of picture. Top choice for this type of monitor is A+ grade monitor because it will save you a lot of power and this is important as you are going to use it all the time.
- Aspect ratio- you are looking for a monitor with a 16:9 aspect ratio. With a security camera, you are going to need a good aspect ratio for the great perspective and awesome picture quality. This is the widely used aspect ratio for most security cameras. It provides you with a picture of high definition.
- Resolution- this depends on the type of monitor that you are going to use. You are going to need 1080p resolution or higher because if you take lower resolution the picture will be poor quality and you will have a problem with recognizing the faces or the happenings while you are watching the monitor. The lowest resolution for this type of picture, in my opinion, is 1920x1080 and the higher the resolution the more information can be displayed on the screen.
- Response time- the response time is not so important when you are buying a monitor for your security camera, but if you want to achieve higher than 60 frames per second, then you should not buy monitor over 16 milliseconds response time. The response time of some decent priced monitors is 8 milliseconds and you can run your picture on 125 frames per second on this response time, and you will get a great experience while watching this type of monitor.
- Viewing angle- because the best option is LED monitor, the viewing angles are little bit lower quality than on some other monitor choice. If you want to see picture good, bright and full colored you have to sit directly in front of the monitor, but if you walk around and watch, the colors will mash up and it will look a little bit chaotic in my opinion. But if you are going to sit and watch your monitors then it will not be a problem.
Top 4 monitors for security cameras
- HP T3M82AA This LED monitor, is an awesome option for security camera systems. Resolution is 1920x1080 and it is full HD, which is good for watching because you get a full and wide picture without any lowerings or similar things that can ruin the picture quality. With 7 millisecond response time this one is not the best monitor on this list, but it is really decent and okay for observing a security camera system. This is a monitor with solid performance for any video work so if you take it for your security cameras you will not regret it that is sure. With 25 inch screen, it is not the biggest but it is wide and decent for security camera purposes. The brightness of 250 is okay, and I will say for sure that this monitor is decent, and for the money you pay, you get the best performances that you can find.
- Acer S271HL Acer is a company that has provided a lot of monitors for supervising and security systems which makes them perfect for that kind of use. For the security systems, this monitor is a top choice. The 27-inch monitor allows you to watch and observe whenever you want in full HD picture. IPS panel is what makes this monitor a little bit different, and in my opinion, it is really good for security camera systems. Six milliseconds response time gives you the opportunity of watching videos in decent fps, not the best but it is decent. And if you decide to use this monitor for gaming, it is not such a good idea. With 60Hz refresh rate, this monitor is not different from the others on my list, and if I ever buy security camera this will be my top choice. In the case of price-quality, it is really great. With this one viewing angles will be a lot better then with LED monitors, there will not be color mixing when you walk around the monitor and if you look from the bottom picture will be really good. This monitor has great color systems and it is good for observing and security camera systems. A wide spectrum of colors gives you great viewing angles and really impressive color and clarity. With 1920x1080 you get full HD resolution and you can observe your objects without any problem, and it can play videos in great quality.
- Samsung UE590 This monitor has a lot of great features. It is a 28” monitor with full UHD resolution. With 3840x2160 resolution this monitor is great for a security system or workers control. The picture can’t be blurry and the colors are great with this monitor. It is one of the best monitors for CCTV technology and it will definitely be great for that type of use. With 1 millisecond response time, the picture will never be blurry and the images will move quickly. This is also a great feature for a gaming monitor. If you are looking at some events with this monitor connected to CCTV frames per second will be great and you will not regret it for sure. The 60Hz refresh rate is a great choice for this type of monitor. If it was just a little bit higher it would be perfect, but it is okay already. FreeSync technology keeps you free of lags or image splitting. The picture in picture model allows you to connect two cameras on this type of monitor and watch 2 videos simultaneously. With this performances, Samsung UE590 is an awesome monitor and for sure I would recommend it to anyone who wants to go for a security system monitor.
- LG SE3KD Lg is a company that makes really good monitors with high quality of picture. This is a great monitor and it supports wifi technology so with proper equipment you can observe using wifi. With screen size of 32 inch, it is a great monitor with perfect angles of viewing. Resolution is 1920x1080 full HD which is good and it has a great brightness of 350. It works with refresh rate 60Hz and this is really good for security cameras because it is the usual refresh rate for decent frames per second. For special occasions, you can turn the monitor into portrait mode and you can get desired settings and desire fit in the environment if you are going for the multi-monitoring system. Interesting thing is that you can take off the logo that is on the bottom of the monitor. On this monitor, you can connect more than one camera which is great for the supervising system, and security cameras system. One thing is sure if you are going to buy a monitor for your security camera, let this one be in the top 3 choices that you have, and you will not regret it.